Monday, February 18, 2013

Mantel-scapes

When we built our house in 1999, I decided to have the carpenters build a niche behind the fireplace mantel.  The following photos are some mantel-scapes (I just invented that word) I've created through the years.


This mantel-scape is a tribute to my hometown - Ceylon, Minnesota (population 367).  The print was done by a local artist and features my old high school (now demolished) in an autumn setting.  I matched the pillar candles to the matting around the print.  The plaque in the middle of the arrangement commemorates the closing of the school.  Flanking the plaque are tins of Ceylon tea.  According to local folklore, when town fathers were deciding on a name for the little burg, they were sitting among supplies in the general store and saw boxes of tea from Ceylon (now called Sri Lanka).  Completing the arrangement are a Ceylon Co-op coffee cup and a replica of the Ceylon elevator which doubles as a toothpick holder. I added a garland of fall leaves to tie the elements together.



This is a nautical scene featuring seashells my mom brought back from the Gulf of Mexico where she and my dad wintered each year.


This one features my favorite bird, the Cardinal.  The print was given to me by my daughter Laura. It fits perfectly into the niche!


This is a simple winter mantel-scape.  The basket contains "snow"-covered pinecones.  A Willow Tree angel watches over the livingroom.



 This isn't a good photo (must have had a finger in front of the camera), but it's the only one I have of this March/St. Patrick's Day vignette.  I pulled out all my green dishes and accented them with craft foam shamrocks and green candles.


Here's a closer look at the Ceylon memorabilia.

No comments:

Post a Comment